Our health and care organisations are working together through NHCP towards attaining Integrated Care System (ICS) status for Northamptonshire.
Building on the success of our NHCP partnership work to date, this is where local NHS organisations collaborate even more closely with each other, with local councils and with others to take collective responsibility for managing resources, delivering NHS standards and improving the health and wellbeing of the population we serve.
With the creation of our county’s two new unitary councils taking place in April, our journey to become a ‘maturing ICS’ during 2021 offers a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to ensure our local health and care services are shaped along the same geographic lines. Examples of the steps we have already taken in this journey are highlighted below.
- Joining of Nene and Corby CCGs to create one new organisation NHS Northamptonshire CCG from April 2020 to serve the NHS commissioning needs of the whole county
- The formation of an acute hospital provider group model bringing together Northampton General Hospital (NGH) NHS Trust and Kettering General Hospital (KGH) NHS Foundation Trust to provide and develop acute hospital services for the whole population of Northamptonshire
- The establishment of 16 new Primary Care Networks (PCNs) with a named clinical director, bringing together integrated community-based teams around a neighbourhood footprint, to deliver seamless care for both physical and mental health
- An integrated provider of community and mental health services across the county, Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, with strong links to Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust, the emerging regional mental health provider alliance and local GP Federations
- Community resilience demonstrated in our co-ordinated county-wide response to COVID-19 supported by the local voluntary, community and social enterprise sector
- Completion of a system-wide procurement for the new Northamptonshire Care Record (click here)
- NHCP Executive Lead and NHCP ICS Partnership Board in place, with agreed ICS sub-committee structure and arrangements for oversight from local NHS chairs and non-executive directors
- Formal offer to establish a single general practice provider board for the county
We have made great progress developing our relationships and working together over the last few years as NHCP. This has accelerated in our collective response to COVID-19 and we want to continue to embed and accelerate this joint working through our ICS development plan.
Look out for updates on our ICS journey in future editions of Partnership Update. For more information about Integrated Care Systems visit www.england.nhs.uk/integratedcare.